Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Mountain of Bears

Say hello to mechanized trail building.  Two weeks at Bear Mountain in New York where the Appalachian Trail tread is 5 feet wide crusher fines. The stairs are quarried rock.  The ditch witch is queen.  The canycom is king.  The hammer drill is benevolent dictator.  The griphoist is president.  And rocks under 200 pounds are made into crush.  Millions of uneducated hikers tramp all over the mountain each year, hopefully the completed project will funnel them a bit.  It was a tough two weeks with low volunteer numbers and poor weather, but when the sun was shining the views of the fall trees and the NYC sky line in the distance were breathtaking. 
I have been putting some miles on my bicycle and with a little over one week left, I am getting ready to box it up and ship it to Tucson, AZ where I will be taking an extended vacation/working odd jobs until the next thing comes along.

No comments: