Monday, October 22, 2012

In my element.

How much wood can a wood chuck chuck?  Our last project of the season was a helical pier boardwalk raising the tread above the flood plane of the nearby Conodoguinet River.  The project was posh in that it was a 10 minute walk from base camp, and I slept in my bed every night.  It was a butt kicker in that we had to transport thousands of pounds of material (metal piers, 72 12 foot long 2X4s, endless amounts of decking, joists, girders) and tools to the site by hand.  That 10 minute walk can get quite long.  It was beautifully orchestrated chaos.  Teams of people drilling piers, building boxes, decking, attaching railings, attaching kick boards, shlepping materials, while I go from group to group teaching how to use speed squares, explaining how to cut the angles on the decking, laying out the location of piers, making sure everyone has the supplies they need, and making sure all the crowns are frowns.  Rocking it.  Life is good.  We kick boardwalk ass.  My ass is beat.  It marks the end of the Mid-Atlantic Crew season.  I am off to a whirlwind adventure in Baltimore, MD before returning to the Scott Farm to clean things up, lead a group of high school age volunteers in Palmerton, PA, wash and wax the van and trailer, and do some paperwork before I fly out to Tucson, AZ on Monday.

No comments: