Saturday, May 28, 2011

Things they are a changin'

I have been in Steamboat Springs for two weeks now. Tomorrow we depart from RMYC's posh tent village to two weeks of field training. Saw and trail will go their separate ways only to meet again at mid-season rendezvous. I am a trail crew leader so I will be off to Hot Sulfur Springs with the other trail folk. Hopefully the suspense will be ended and we are assigned to our assistant crew leaders soon so we can start discussing what we want out of the season and how we want our crews to run. Either way it will be nice to get out of town, get dirty, and get some work done.
The past two weeks have been delightful. I have perfected the art of living in a single person backpacking tent in the midst of unfavorable weather, which has been a combination of rain and snow and a small bit of sunshine. All crew leaders got certified in Wilderness First Aid. We realized tent village had a tick problem. We learned all sorts of things having to do with risk management. I spent some quality time in the local hot springs. We geared/tooled up for the season. I re-waterproofed my rain coat. We sang and played music around nightly campfires. I bought new sunglasses. Obviously good times are being had by all.

1 comment:

Shea said...

I love you! I'm very proud of you and what you are doing! :)