I left Peace Corps and Ghana on November 21st, 2009 and returned to Michigan, USA. There were a lot of factors that contributed to the decision to leave Peace Corps early and although I have missed Ghana on many occasions, I have not regretted my decision. I found that I had a moral disagreement with the impact of international aid/development, and I did not want to contribute to that machine or be viewed as part of it. I am very thankful for my experiences in Ghana and the opportunity to live there for six months.
For the past year and a half, I have been at a life impasse. I simply spent this time attempting to process where I had been and where I am going. I spent this time in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Sharing a bed with my hetero life mate, Sandra, and later living in the delightful urban farming cooperative that is The Franklin Farm. Working as kitchen staff at Making Thyme Kitchen, a driver at Valley Truck Parts, and a treatment coordinator at Turning Point Programs. Riding the bus, riding my bike, walking, and driving my glorious Caruck. Learning about me.
And so the impasse is over, and I am off on another adventure. On May 16th (after what I assume will be an incredible week of visiting with friends from all over the world) I fly out to Steamboat Springs, Colorado where I have accepted a seasonal position as a crew leader for the Rocky Mountain Youth Corps. Life is good.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment