a half. There is something we refer to as "Ghana time," and I am
definitely practicing it. In Ghana time moves in mysterious
fluctuations of fast and slow, spontaneously the two intermingling. A
minute creeps by and the week has suddenly past.
So far I have traveled the country south to north and back twice, and
I foresee myself making the journey countless times in the future. I
have been placed in the Upper East Region south of the regional
capital of Bulgatanga. This area is just hours away from the glorious
markets of Burkina Faso, which are filled with the wonder that is
cheese. I will be speaking a language called Gurune and am leaning
fii fii (small small).
I am currently living with a host family in a village of 1,500 people
called Addo Nkwanta until my training ends on August 13th. My host
mother, Grace, has given me the name Olunum, which means 'that who
brings us good'. Mother Grace has also taught me what it means to be
a true Ghanaian. It means that you can ingest a massive amount of
starchy food. The only English Mother Grace knows is the phrase "eat
all," which she says very enthusiastically. She conveys her
disappointment and worry in my inability to "eat all" with key
motherly OOOH sounds. This experience has brought me to the belief in
the common language of mothers. Mother Grace doesn't have to say a
word for me to know she is worried about my bug bites or that I need
to eat more.
Training is keeping me ridiculously busy but soon I will be at site
and have all the time in the world. Write me letters and send me your
love. Ghana rocks my socks off, but I miss you!
No comments:
Post a Comment