Monday, May 25, 2009

Hitch #12 – Painted Rock & Oregon Pipe - The Grand Canyon

My last hitch with SCC was another split hitch full of odd jobs. First, we went northeast to Painted Rock Petroglyph Site where we resurfaced a path around the petroglyphs, cleaned out fire pits, built a fence, and took a tour of the Painted Rock Dam. Painted Rock Dam is an impressive now close to useless dam. Where a mighty river used to flow, now a trickling stream remains due to excess water usage. Next, we headed south to Oregon Pipe National Monument, the only area in the U.S.A. where the Oregon Pipe Cacti grow and the Pup Fish swim. It is also one of the hottest places SCC works. I got my first taste of working in 110 degree heat while laying asphalt. We cooled off one day by spending a day in Quitobaquito Pond sawing out the invasive Bull Rush. Before I knew it the hitch was over, and I was back in Tucson where the two crews spent their last evening in town before many of them went back ‘home’ partying. The next morning I left for the Grand Canyon.
My Dad’s cousin, Ellen, once told me, “Our legs and feet are only given so many steps in a lifetime.” Well, I seem to be trying to use them up quickly.
As a last hurrah in Arizona and a proper goodbye to the beautiful landscape of the United States, I decided to jump on the opportunity to go on a four-day hike in the Grand Canyon with some friends from work. We started the seven-hour drive from Tucson early Saturday morning by dropping our still drunk friend, Dan, off at the Phoenix airport. There is not much more entertaining than a few hour drive in a small car with five people (one of them drunk from the evening before and another who considers herself a psychic healer) and all their gear. We left Dan at the departures gate with a pile of his stuff, some in his pack some not, still reeking of whiskey and smiling and waving.
Arriving at the Grand Canyon in early afternoon, we hurried to get on the trail and start our day’s 12 mile hike. The view from the rim was beyond breathtaking and as I hiked over the next four days down South Kaibab, up Clear Creek and back, up North Kaibab and back, up Ribbon Falls and back, and up Bright Angel the views only became more amazing. I was challenged mentally, physically, and spiritually as I hiked over fifty miles over the four days. It was the perfect peaceful goodbye to Arizona.
Back in Tucson, I had three days of work left. I spent that time working with Technicians for Sustainability on a few water harvesting projects and consultations in order to learn more about landscaping for optimal water usage, which will help me with my work in Ghana. First thing Saturday morning, Heather drove me to the Tucson airport, and I was off to Michigan.

No comments: