On monday afternoon I was hired by the southwest conservation corps. By wednesday afternoon I had said all the goodbyes to grand rapids I could, had mostly moved out of my house, and had traveled back to my hometown of niles to drop things off and spend a little time with the fam. Thursday morning I hopped on the amtrak train that took me to chicago and then another that took me to tucson. The romantic idea of riding across country in a train still remains only slightly dimmed by the reality of what it is actually like. I made some wonderful three day long friendships, escaped those with severe mental illness, and was reminded of the real reason most people take the train, which is that you can carry anything you want in your luggage. The landscapes were beautiful, the food disgusting and over priced, and the bathrooms along with one drunk man smelled like piss. I arrived in tucson early this morning having never even seen a map of the city. Tomorrow I start work, a twelve day hitch in the back country that begins with a short meet and greet with my crew who has been training together for the last week.
My work schedule is generally twelve days on, three days off. During my twelve days on I will usually be camping in a back country location with my phone and such turned off. During my three days off, I will be staying in tucson in a hotel, hostel, or with friends with my phone and such on. So if want to chat, leave a message or email me and I will get back to you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I got accepted to a school in AZ... wouldn't it have been weird it we had both ended up there?
Anyways, I love trains for short distance. Jers and Jett and I take one when we go to Niles, and its romantic...ish. At least once we have settled in and they both fall asleep on me. For long distance, my heart and sympathies go out to you. I'm amazed you didn't try to kill someone or climb out a window.
Be safe and keep in touch!
I heart you for always,
Jessica
Post a Comment