I spent the last two weeks working in the backcountry of Sabino Canyon building a trail straight up the side of Mt Lemon.
On Monday morning, I met my crew who I will be working with for the next couple months. The crew consists of two other girls and five guys all of which have worked for SCC in previous sessions. All were very welcoming, and we became fast friends and a close knit working group.
We packed in all our supplies, food, and tools three miles up the mountain like sherpas and arrived to our base camp in the dark. After a quick dinner of reconstituted refried beans, we set up our tents and settled in. The three of us girls shack up together in one tent making life a constant sleepover. We camped next to a creek that acted as our water supply and as our bathing area. If you are wondering what I smell like after working in the hot Arizona sun for 12 days without running water, I suggest you visit your local zoo, go to the American Porcupine exhibit, and take a big wiff.
Tuesday morning we went to work in the beautiful Arizona sun building trail. The work consists of grubbing out a variety of cactus and shrubs and installing supportive rock structures in order to create a highway through the wilderness for tourists and adventure seekers. The work kicks my butt, and I love every minute of it. During the two week hitch, everyone got sick but me, we had a few close calls with rock falls and cactus, and I plummeted to my almost death down the side of the mountain. Its a dangerous job but somebody has got to do it!
I was definitely ready for my weekend off, which I spent at the Flamingo Motel with crew mate Arianna. We accomplished a lot of random errands over the weekend that included the purchase of suspenders and the eating of pizza. Good times!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Be Careful! No more plummeting, you hear? :) I love you! I hope you're doing well and having fun!
Post a Comment