Saturday, January 28, 2012

Last Hitch - Organ Pipe Overload?




Three out of six hitches in Organ Pipe.  That is a lot of quality time. 

We spent our last hitch braving the cold, the rain, the hail.  We dug trenches for waterline, removed prickly pear, re-potted plants, mixed potting soil, and built a 6.5 acre pen for reintroducing Sonoran Pronghorn into the wild.  Then the session was over.  We followed everything up the next morning with an All Crews Breakfast and Olympics.  My crew quickly proceeded to loose by one million points.  Then the session was really over.  We packed up our things and got out of town.  I filled up the mommobile with all my belongings and Carolla and all her belongings, and I drove her home to South Dakota and then myself to Michigan for a whirlwind "vacation."  Dad and I worked on the caruck daily and when he was at work I went to visit friends.  After much turmoil the caruck lived and ran like a champion but alas it's adventures were short lived.  On the fatal final trip from Detroit to Grand Rapids, something went terribly wrong... probably the throwout bearing.  We magically made it to Sandra and Ray's and had AAA tow us back to Niles.  I rented a car and we proceeded to drive for a jillion hours straight with a stop in Chicago for Thai food and friends and a stop in Amarillo for terrible breakfast and to check out the Cadillac Graveyard.  And now I am safe and sound in Tucson.  Back where I began last August.  Getting ready for another session of leading trail crew for the Southwest Conservation Corps.

No comments: